Whilst silver jewelry has its own charm and fashion jewelry allows you to show your trendy side without spending a fortune, it is gold jewelry that you really want to invest in! We’ll explain to you why and what kind of jewelry is the best investment.
GOLD JEWELRY AND ITS WAVES OF POPULARITY
Gold jewelry has its very own cycles of popularity. Like waves, it comes and floats away, only to come back again, stronger and fresher than ever before. We are now in the beginning of a huge wave of fresh and new ideas and we’ll tell you what has changed!
GOLD JEWELRY TRENDS
I have noticed a lot of classics coming back on the market.
- Classic chains, classic bold rings and hoop earrings. If you do like this kind of jewelry, but fear it is a little too *old school* or slightly boring, then opt for versions that include insertions of gemstone, pearls or other materials. Also, you might want to see if you can play with it. For example: take a necklace that’s extra long. You can wear it double or triple around your neck, meeting this season’s lust for statement pieces and collars.
- Another trend is the return of the earring. The least sold item has become a lot more interesting over the past years. From asymmetric earrings to the solo earring, from the cuffs that cover the ear, to the simple everlasting normal set of earrings. If you look at it from an investing point of view, the aforementioned trends are perhaps not everlasting. But a great pair of earrings is usually a long lasting joy as the wear and tear is minimal (unless you are like me and drop them constantly due to being such a clumsy person) and they do a lot for your overall appearance. I have always blamed the fact that earrings are sold less than other kinds of jewelry (apart from brooches) to the fact that we don’t see it when we wear them 😉
- Small jewelry, layering, small rings and small bracelets is a trend that’s been hot for some time now too. It looks young and fresh and plays its part in what we find important today: creating authentic looks and personalizing jewelry. Enjoy it and take extra care of it. Don’t wear this kind of jewelry when you go for a workout, don’t wear this when you go to sleep. Seriously, don’t!
Fine jewelry, as soon as diamonds and other gemstones are added, the whole way of looking at the value of jewelry changes. The role of the material gold is often, not alway, but often less important than the role of the gemstones. So gold is just playing a very small part in the value of such pieces. Branded jewelry is a whole other chapter. Whilst a plain ring by an anonymous or less famous creator can fetch a price when sold, branded jewelry by famous jewelry houses have added value on the market.
Always check stores where you can sell your fine jewelry as jewelry and not cash for gold. The amount of gold does very little for your wallet, but second-hand jewelry is a new chapter in jewelry retail, that will become increasingly popular so check out specialized auction houses, jewelry stores and so on and so forth.
THE RISE OF VINTAGE JEWELRY OR SECOND-HAND JEWELRY
As mentioned, secondhand jewelry has never been as popular as now. Even if this was already the case in countries such as the U.K. for example, you’ll find new initiatives opening stores everywhere right now. In my own country, the Netherlands, there is this new retailer seeking to create a number of stores, selling predominantly: secondhand jewelry. A very new concept.
Why this is becoming more popular? Various reasons!
- One can afford nice jewelry, for a smaller budget.
- One loves the fact that it already had a story before.
- One might see it as sustainable and less frivolous.
- Or one simply seeks to be unique, whereas in most jewelry stores in any one country, one tends to find the same kind of brands over and over again.
HERE ARE THREE REASONS WHY YOU WANT TO INVEST IN GOLD JEWELRY. MY FAVORITE? NUMBER 2 FOR SURE 🙂
- Gold will always keep a value*
- Gold jewelry is, most of the time, well made and made to last.
- Gold jewelry never goes out of fashion. You may wear it for 5 years and grow tired of it, but I can assure you that one day, you’ll want to wear it again. If it’s more than 5 years that you don’t fancy wearing it anymore, then is the time to see if selling it is the wise thing to do.
Hopefully, I have been able to inspire you to invest a little more in jewelry. I like the trend of buying less stuff but of better quality in everything these days. Whether it’s clothes, shoes, food, furniture…Do buy silver or steel jewelry, if this is what you love! I have plenty of them too and I fully enjoy wearing them. This blog merely wants to state that in terms of investment, it is gold you might want to go for!